About the Project
On January 14, 2015 the Town Board agreed to endorse the Master Plan Steering Committee’s recommendation to hire the Pace Land Use Law Center to facilitate the Master Plan Steering Committee through the next several phases of the Master Plan Update Process. This includes identification of goals, objectives and identification of planning strategies and implementation tools as well as compiling the draft Master Plan Update document which is expected by October 2015. Pace’s proposal included a strong recommendation to integrate a Downtown Revitalization Strategy into the Master Plan Update Process. Click here to view the Pace Land Use Law Center Proposal and here to view their Downtown Revitalization Strategy.
The Town of New Castle’s first comprehensive plan was adopted by the Planning Board in 1958. The most recent Town Development Plan was adopted in November of 1989. Much of the data and background materials for the 1989 Town Development Plan were compiled in 1984. The Town Board is looking to update the Town Development Plan once again. Much has changed from 1989 to the present. The Updated Master Plan will reflect these changes and speak to the future of development in New Castle.
The Town Board has appointed a 5-member Steering Committee to work with the Town Planner to develop the Master Plan Update. As part of the process there will be pointed opportunities for public participation.
Here’s an update as to the work being done in relation to our Master Plan Update:
- October 2012- Town Request to the Westchester County Department of Planning to Develop the Town’s Background Studies
- December 2012- Westchester County Confirmation that they will develop New Castle’s Background Studies
- March 19, 2013 Master Plan Steering Committee begins to meet monthly.
- May 6, 2013- Town Visioning Meeting (approximately 25public participants)
- June 2013- Town Board Resolution appointing members of the Master Plan Steering Committee.
- October 2013- Request for Work Group participants.
- December 2013- Westchester County delivered draft background studies.
- January 2014- Master Plan Steering Committee review of Draft Westchester County Background Studies.
- March 2014- Pace Land Use Law Center Outreach Program contract approved.
- April 2014- Pace worked with staff and MPSC to prepare for planned public meetings.
- April 2014- MPSC members began working with their work groups to assess Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats (“SWOT” Analysis) of the 1989 Town Development Plan.
- May 2014- June 2014- Outreach Workshops held.
- July 2014- Final edits to Background Studies submitted to Westchester County.
- August 2014- Pace LULC Outreach Report released.
- August 2014- PSB survey services contract approved.
- October 2014- Master Plan Steering Committee review of RFP for Master Plan Consultant to facilitate Steering Committee and compile draft plan.
- November 2014- RFP for facilitation/draft plan preparation issued.
- December 2014- MPSC representatives met with Town Planner to review response to RFP and issued memo regarding preferred consultant.
- January 2014- Town Board approved Pace University Land Use Law Center as Master Plan Consultant to facilitate Master Plan Steering Committee and prepare draft plan.