Supervisor, New CastleWe are very pleased to finally see multiple restoration crews in New Castle!
At the peak 3,600 New Castle lost service. 1,118 are still without. 156 jobs remain. We currently have 8 service crews in town. 5 of those crews are working on 2 jobs (one of those jobs has 193 customers out). 5 more crews are arriving today. 25% of crews will likely stay overnight.
This afternoon County Legislator Mike Kaplowitz & myself went to Con Ed headquarters in Rye to personally express our outrage about the delay in restoration crews arriving in New Castle. Until every house has their power restored, we will continue to press Con Ed. We will continue to work with all elected officials, including Congresswoman Lowey’s office, the Governor’s office, Senator Murphy, Assemblyman Buchwald, County Legislator Mike Kaplowitz, to advocate for us with Con Ed.
Due to the impending Nor’easter, we are pleased to report that mutual aid is remaining thru and after the storm.
Sani-Pro will not run residential curbside tomorrow Wed. March 7, 2018. Sani-Pro will run pick up a day behind for the rest of the week. For example, Wednesday pick up will now be Thursday; Thursday pickup will now be Friday and Friday pickup will now be Saturday.
Backdoor customers will have regularly scheduled Thursday and Friday pickup as long as driveways are clear and safe for travel.
Community Center – Warming Center and Overnight Accommodations
Our Community Center located on Senter Street in Chappaqua will be open again this evening and will be able to provide overnight accommodations should our residents need it. We have a limited number of cots. Please bring a sleeping bag and blankets if you are planning to stay. Town Hall is also open to recharge electrical devices.
Confirm Outage Information
If your power is still out, please confirm that the Con Ed outage map reflect the accurate information about your outage and outages on your street. It is critical that Con Ed has accurate information about the outages that exist in our Town.
Be a Good Neighbor
With temperatures predicted to drop tonight, be a good neighbor. Check on family, friends, and neighbors, especially the elderly, those who live alone, those with medical conditions, and those who may need additional assistance.
Con Ed is Offering Dry Ice in two locations:
- New Rochelle City Hall, Rear Parking Lot, 515 North Ave, New Rochelle
- K-Mart shopping center, 355 Downing Drive, Yorktown Heights
Some Tips During a Power Outage
- Stay away from downed utility wires. Always assume a downed power line is live.
- If a traffic light is out, treat the intersection as a four-way stop.
- Use generators outside!!! Their fumes contain carbon monoxide. Make sure your carbon monoxide detectors are working. Carbon monoxide is a silent, odorless, killer.
- Use flashlights instead of candles. Avoid using candles. If you must use candles, place them in safe holders away from anything that could catch fire. Never leave a burning candle unattended.
- Take recommended safety precautions when using space heaters or a fireplace. Keep a fire extinguisher handy.
- Keep food cold outside in a secure location safe from animals.
- To report outages and downed power wires: Contact Con Ed: 1.800.75CONED or online here.
- To report downed trees and power lines: New Castle Police: 914.238.4422
- Report a water emergency: Millwood Water Treatment Plant: 914.944.0036 / 914.944.0037
- For blocked roads or any other hazard- please call New Castle Police at: 914-238-4422. The Police Department does not monitor Facebook for information regarding storm related issues and problems, so please contact the numbers provided to report these issues.