Building Division


If you are thinking about improvements to your home you should contact the Building Division to determine if you need any approvals. For your information:

Building Permit

A Building Permit is required for new construction, additions, alterations, decks, swimming pools, enclosing a screened in porch, adding skylights, and sheds. For questions about when a building permit is required, please contact our office at 914-238-4723.

*The Town of New Castle has adopted the NYS Stretch Energy Code

*Building permit applications will not be accepted without (2) sets of stamped and sealed drawings (1- 24 x36 and 1- 11x17 set) 

Electrical Permit

An Electrical Permit is required for all electrical work and must be filed through the Building Division. Electricians must be licensed by Westchester County. The building department accepts electrical certification from four different electrical inspection companies. They are the following:

  • New York Electrical Inspections Services
  • Statewide Inspection Services, Inc
  • Tri-State Inspection Agency Inc.
  • Westchester Rockland Electrical Inspections Services, Inc.

Tree Removal

Residents must apply for permission to cut trees down on their property.  The Tree Removal Permit Application and appropriate notice must be submitted by the applicant.

Plumbing Permit

A Plumbing Permit is required for all plumbing work, including the replacement of boilers and furnaces. Workers must be licensed by Westchester County.

Certificate of Compliance

A Certificate of Compliance is required upon completion of all building permit work.

Certificate of Occupancy

A Certificate of Occupancy is issued after the project is complete.

Water Run Off

Water running off construction sites and private property may contain hazardous substances that pollute and contaminate our drinking water, lakes, rivers and eventually the oceans. To contain these waters, our Engineering Department reviews plans and construction sites. They also perform inspections and make recommendations and revisions as needed to ensure that all laws are complied with.

Applying for Solar

To apply for a solar permit, please fill out applications for a Unified Solar Permit, a Building Permit and an Electrical Permit, which can be accessed through the links provided. Please note the Building Department does not accept electronic submissions of applications - please fill the applications out and bring them to the Building Department along with appropriate payment (as shown on the application forms).