Due to COVID-19 our office staff has been reduced on a daily basis.  The Office still remains operational however the best way to reach us is to email

What Stormwater Is

Stormwater run-off occurs when rainfall and snowmelt are unable to permeate and soak into the ground. As a result, run-off flows across impermeable surfaces such as sidewalks, driveways and the roadways picking up debris and pollutants along the way.

As land is developed more and more natural vegetation and tree cover is stripped away, the ability to naturally filter stormwater is reduced. Most run-off makes its way untreated into storm sewers which eventually discharge into streams, waterways, and bodies we use for drinking, swimming and fishing.

Clean Water Act

Pursuant to the Clean Water Act (CWA) and in accordance with the Environmental Conservation Law of the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation the Town of New Castle Enacted Local Law Number 3-2007 known and cited as Chapter 108A: Storm Water Management and Erosion and Sediment Control.

Chapter 108A

Certain construction activities may be regulated by the Town of New Castle under Chapter 108A, in addition to wetlands permits which quality as a land development activity. In addition, certain construction activities may be regulated by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation and require a SPDES General Permit for Storm Water Permit for Construction Activity.

Annual Reports

Yearly, under the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation SPDES General Permit for Storm Water Discharge, the Town is required to submit an annual MS4 Annual Report, outlining public involvement and participation, monitoring of pre and post stormwater construction management and pollution prevention. 

Preparation is a coordinated effort of various Town Departments and Town Staff. Westchester County also offers municipal resources related to stormwater outreach and education.


General inquiries regarding stormwater runoff and permitting should be directed to the Town’s Engineering Staff by calling 914-238-4723 or 914-238-7273. 

Questions related to catch basin cleaning or stormwater piping can be directed to the Department of Public Works by calling 914-238-3968. For IDDE complaints, please call Robert Cioli, Town Engineer at 914-238-4723.

Annual Reports

Get more information about stormwater by accessing our annual reports.


The Town of New Castle is seeking information from residents and businesses with respect to their understanding of stormwater-related issues in the community. Please fill out the Stormwater Questionnaire (PDF) to provide your feedback.