The Coyote Map is offered as a service to New Castle residents interested in sharing and monitoring reports of coyote sightings and incidents in the Town of New Castle. There are two categories of behavior that are tracked on the Coyote Map.
1. Sightings: Coyote heard or seen moving through an area. Coyote is seen resting in a yard with no person present outside. Indicated on the map with a green icon
2. Encounter: Coyote is following or approaching a person with or without pets. Coyote enters yard with people and pets present. indicated on the map with a yellow icon
3. Aggressive Behavior: Incidents of aggressive coyote behavior that occur in New Castle should immediately be reported to police at 238-4422 / Emergency 911
1. Unattended Pet Attack: A coyote injures or kills unattended or unleashed pet.
2. Attended Pet Attack: A coyote injures or kills a pet on-leash or off-leash and under visual observation and voice control.
3. Provoked Human Attack: Coyote bites human when the human is feeding the coyote, approaching animal with pups, intervening during pet attack or other similar interaction. An attack on a human should be reported to the police immediately.
4. Unprovoked Human Attack: Coyote bites human without provocation. An attack on a human should be reported to the police immediately.
Reports of aggressive behavior can be added to the map. These incidents should always be reported to the New Castle Police Department at 238-4422.