Water Distribution


How is my water bill determined?

The Water Department is responsible for all water meter reading. A computerized reading is made from the box outside of your dwelling.

Are landlords responsible for a tenant’s bill?


Is there a procedure on a final water bill if I am moving?

If you are moving, make and appointment for the final water reading. There is a $75 fee for this service.

How often is my water bill mailed?


To whom should the water bill be made out?

Please make check payable to:

New Castle-Stanwood Water District

What is the remittance address for water bills?

The remittance address for water bills is:

New Castle Stanwood Water District
PO Box 27744 Newark, NJ 07101-7744.

How can I pay my water bill?

There are three ways you can pay your water bill:

  1. With a check to the remittance address using the envelope and tear off slip provided.
  2. Through your bank with an online payment (remember this does not automatically pay your account, the bank basically cuts a check and mails it in for you therefore it needs to be done a week or so before the due date to avoid penalties).
  3. Through a reverse debit that is set up through the Comptroller’s Office using your checking account number. The amount is automatically withdrawn on the due date and there are no penalties as long as money is in the account.

There is a 10 percent penalty added to the bill if not paid within 30 days after the billing date. For new residents: The previous resident should have scheduled a final read so that you will not incur any previous charges. If you use online banking make sure you have changed the remittance address. (See address above).

What should I do if I think there is a mistake in my water bill?

Pay the entire bill as received, and then take up the issue with the Town. If you are correct, the Town will reimburse you, or credit your account toward payment of the next bill. All water meters are read quarterly, and payment for water used is due within 30 days of receipt of that bill. Residents can make arrangements to have their water bills paid automatically from their bank accounts by calling the Comptroller’s Office at 238-7277.