How do I report an electric service problem?

To report an electric service problem, you can call 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-6633) or click here to report an electric service problem:

Does Con Edison know my power is out?

When you experience an electric service problem, everyone must report the outage to Con Ed. Do not assume there is no need since Con Ed may already know about the outage on your street.  Con Ed prioritizes their response by the greater number of customers affected.  Everyone should call.

What do I do if I see a downed wire?

If you see a hazardous condition, such as fallen electric wires or trees leaning against wires or poles, call New Castle Police 914-238-4422 and Con Ed at 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-6633).    If you see a downed line, assume it is energized and stay away.  Please keep children away from flooded areas after a storm, as the water could be hiding an energized line.

What do I do if I detect a gas leak? 

If the odor is strong, leave immediately and take others with you. If you are outside, leave the area immediately.  Find a phone away from the area and call New Castle Police 914-238-4422 or 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-6633)

What do I do if I see a downed tree blocking a road?

To report blocked roads, call New Castle Police: 914-238-4422

Why is it important to report problems directly to the police instead of posting on Facebook?

When these storms hit the New Castle Police Department gets very busy.  Their officers work under extremely dangerous conditions.  They do not monitor Facebook,

How can I check on the status of a previously reported electric power outage?

Click here to check the status on-line:

How do I receive New Castle storm updates?

For Nixle text alerts, just text your zip code to 888777.

For Nixle email (& text) alerts, go to

For codeRED notifications:

Where do I report a water emergency?

To report a water emergency call the Millwood Water Treatment Plant: 914-944-0036 / 914-944-0037

Are there any mobile applications available?

Yes, both Cod Ed & codeRED have mobile apps available for Android & iPhone

Con Ed:

CodeRED mobile app:

How can I prepare before the storm?

Have supplies on hand, in case the power goes out. Include a flashlight and extra batteries; portable, battery-operated radio and extra batteries; a first aid kit; a one-week supply of food (include items that do not require refrigeration or cooking in case the power is shut off); a manual can opener; one-week supply of essential prescription medications; extra blankets and sleeping bags.

Develop an emergency communication plan in case family members are separated from one another during a winter storm (a real possibility during the day when adults are at work and children are at school) and have a plan for getting back together.

Ask an out-of-state relative or friend to serve as the family contact because after a disaster, it’s often easier to call long distance. Make sure everyone knows the name, address and phone number of the contact person.

Who is responsible for trimming trees?

Con Ed has the rights to cut trees and branches on their easement. The Town of New Castle has the right to cut trees and branches on town property. Homeowners also have an obligation to maintain trees on their property. Regular pruning and trimming will keep the trees from becoming too top-heavy and prone to falling. Dead and dying trees need to be removed.