Sustainability Advisory Board
Mission Statement: The Sustainability Advisory Board continues to advise the Town Board about policy administration of solid waste collection and disposal (residential, commercial, and governmental), recycling, and waste reduction. As a Board it stays informed about local, regional, and national developments that affect solid waste management in the Town or that could serve as models for the Town; devises and carries out programs of public education; monitors the success of the Town’s solid waste program; and assists the Town Board in evaluating proposed solid waste contracts, capital projects, operational changes, and inter-governmental agreements. Its evaluations consider short and long-term costs to the Town, its residents and businesses; environmental impact; regulatory compliance; and program convenience.
In addition, the expanded role includes the specific duties related to the reduction of harmful greenhouse gas emissions.
(1) Review data and baseline information and assist the Town Board in establishing medium and long-range targets for greenhouse gas emissions reduction and developing a program to achieve those targets. Such review will include the evaluation of policies and recommendations relating to energy management, transportation, waste management, construction and land use;
(2) Conduct a greenhouse gas emissions inventory and forecast to determine the source and quantity of greenhouse emissions in town, including a review of energy audit reports for all existing public buildings and facilities, and a review of existing proposed public transportation policies Townwide;
(3) Make recommended modifications to improve fuel efficiency, reduce fuel consumption and promote alternative fueled vehicles in fleet use;
(4) Continue to monitor and promote the reduce, reuse and recycle approach to waste management on a Town-wide basis, including schools and businesses.
(5) Establish, implement, and monitor an educational effort to inform residents and promote the benefits of reducing energy use and the reduce, reuse and recycle approach to waste management, and to encourage the use of green products and renewable energy sources by holding town forums, maintaining a Web page and providing regular communication in the Town newsletter;
(6) Work with the Conservation Board to establish, implement, and monitor water conservation practices to protect and conserve our water supplies;
(7) Advise on local codes and guidelines for new construction projects and renovation projects to promote environmentally sustainable practices;
(8) Recommend new technology and research into alternatives for reducing greenhouse gas emissions, cooperating with other municipal jurisdictions and neighboring communities to amplify positive results.
Term of Office: Five years
Meetings Held: last Wednesday of each month at 7:30pm in Town Hall
|Board Members||Term Ends|
|Steve Wolk – Chairman||3/21/21|
|Jennifer Mebes Flagg||6/30/20|
For more information, please contact SAB@mynewcastle.org or Bart Carey, the Staff Liaison to the Sustainability Advisory Board, at email@example.com
Interested in contributing? Submit an application to join the Sustainability Advisory Board!